A personal statement is an important piece of document for a lot of reasons some of which would be discussed below. It is because of this its significance that it must be well written. There are basically two main uses of a personal statement for teaching; the first is its use for graduate students or those seeking a higher institution of study or applying to one. The second is for those seeking a new job or some form of employment.
Usually a personal statement serves as an addition document that usually accompanies the resume. There are many skills in personal statement and the list of skills and qualities for personal statement cannot be exhausted. In this article we would look at 9 of them and you can also check the personal statement skills and qualities examples online for more.
Important Features of a Personal Statement
It is usually a short document usually about 47 lines, 4000 characters or approximately 500 words long. It is comprised of a one page document with about 5 to 6 short and simple paragraphs. The fonts are usually clear for easy reading and the format is pretty simple as well. The personal statement would contain an introductory first paragraph, a body with about 3 to 4 paragraphs and a concluding paragraph. This is usually what a personal statement would entail. In this article we would be looking at first the benefits of a well-written personal statement and subsequently we would look at 9 skills in personal statement.
Of course you can decide to use personal statement skills and qualities examples that are available online to have a broader grasp of this topic. Below we would be looking first at the benefits of a personal statement and the list of skills and qualities for personal statement thereafter.
Benefits of a Personal Statement
Before we go into more details regarding these skills to include in personal statement let us look first at some of the benefits of a well written personal statement
- A personal statement would serve as a way to introduce you to your potential employers or institution
- A personal statement is a good adjunct to your resume or CV
- It will help to boost your resume or CV
- It can also give you a boost ahead of a potential interview
- It is a good way to make an awesome first impression with the institution or firm
List of Skills and Qualities for Personal Statement
Below we would be looking at 9 of the skills in personal statement. Like was stated earlier, this list of skills and qualities for personal statement is not exhaustive and you can check online for more personal statement skills and qualities examples. However, listed below are 9 of the important ones:
- Your degree: This is the primary qualification that you would want to highlight in your personal statement
- Any certification course: It is also important that you indicate any relevant certification course that you have attended in your personal statement
- Any training related to the said field: If you have also been part of a training that is relevant to the said field you should also including that in your personal statement.
- Any relevant internship training: You would no doubt have acquired a good set of skills and qualities from an internship training so you should add that to your personal statement as well
- Computer skills: A lot of jobs would require you to have computer skills, so if you have computer skills you should include them too
- Work ethic: Your work ethic that could include, your diligence, your dedication and a host of other qualities should also be included in your personal statement
- Work experience: You should also add your work experience and the skills that you have acquired from them in your personal statement
- Volunteer work: If you have also been part of any volunteer work you can also add that to your personal statement
- Other skills or personal qualities: Skills like good inter-personal working relationship can also be added to your perusal statement
The above skills in personal statement would make your personal statement professional and this is what you will find when you check the internet for personal statement skills and qualities examples and a SoP sample.